What Is The Best Geofencing GPS Tracker?
If you are looking for the best GPS tracking software for fleet maintenance it is important to learn about GPS-tracking apps and hardware solutions for route optimization. Why? Because without management software it can be difficult to know where drivers are, where they have been, and the miles they logged throughout the day in your business vehicles. This has the potential to be a huge liability for business owners. The good news is there are a lot of awesome tracking apps and GPS management solutions designed to help your business. If you want the latest GPS software utilizing geofencing technology, here is our list of the 5 best geofencing GPS devices for businesses. Let’s dive in!
Best Overall Geofencing GPS Device: SpaceHawk
Our top overall pick for the best GPS geofencing tracker is SpaceHawk. What made this vehicle tracking device stand above the SpyTec GL300, Vyncs GPS, and Invoxia, were the awesome features. First of all, SpaceHawk offers an awesome mobile app for both iPhone and Android devices. This makes it easy to access all fleet management tools from speed alerts to geofence alerts via the mobile tracking software. And the best part? If you ever need any help using the GPS locator or have trouble setting up geofences, free technical support is available 7 days a week!
- Real-time tracking: Allows fleet managers to see the location of their vehicles in real-time, using the SpaceHawk GPS app on their smartphone.
- Geofencing: Allows fleet managers to set up virtual boundaries around specific locations, such as a job site or a customer’s location, and receive notifications when a vehicle enters or leaves that area.
- Speed alerts: Fleet managers can set up alerts to notify them if a vehicle is driving over a certain speed.
- History: SpaceHawk GPS allows fleet managers to view the location history of their vehicles, and to see everywhere they have been. You also get lifetime access to historical data!
- Multiple reports: Fleet managers can generate various reports on their vehicles and driver behavior, such as idling time, distance traveled, and more.
- Durable and weatherproof: SpaceHawk is 100% waterproof and the only GPS tracking system designed with a waterproof magnetic mount.
- Web Platform: Fleet managers can access the SpaceHawk GPS data through a web-based platform that allows them to track multiple vehicles at once and run reports.
Family 1st- Best Geofence GPS Tracker Under $20
- Real-time tracking: Allows parents to see the location of their teen drivers in real-time, using the Family1st GPS app on their smartphone.
- Geofencing: Allows parents to set up virtual boundaries around specific locations, such as school or home, and receive notifications when their child enters or leaves that area.
- Speed alerts: Parents can set up alerts to notify them if their child is driving over a certain speed.
- History: Allows parents to view the location history of their child’s device, to see where they have been and for how long.
- SOS button: A button on the device that can be pressed in an emergency, which sends an alert to the parents with the child’s location.
- Low battery alerts: An alert is sent to the parent when the device’s battery is low, so they know when to charge it.
- Multiple Users: Family1st GPS device can be paired with multiple users which means multiple devices can be tracked by one account.
- Web Platform: Family1st GPS also offers a web-based platform for parents to access their child’s location and history.
Spark Nano 7 With Extended Battery – Geofence GPS With Long Battery
One of the drawbacks of mini GPS tracking devices is battery life. In fact, most GPS asset tracking solutions only offer 3-4 weeks’ worth of power before needing to be recharged. That really isn’t ideal for law enforcement, or business owners who have company vehicles on the road for long hours. The Spark Nano 7 with an extended battery pack solves this problem by offering over 140 hours of continuous real time GPS tracking. That is more powerful than any other GPS tracking system sold on Amazon! Other features include:
- Compact and discreet: This GPS device is small and discreet so it can be easily attached to business vehicles.
- Battery life: Spark Nano 7 with extended battery has the longest battery life of any fleet tracking device on the market.
- Weatherproof: The device is weatherproof, it can withstand harsh weather conditions.
- Coverage: Spark Nano 7 is one of the only asset tracking solutions that will work in the United States, Canada, and Mexico!
- Multiple alerts: Users can set up different alerts such as a low battery, virtual borders, and high speed.
- Web-based platform: Users can access the Spark Nano data through a web-based platform that allows them to track multiple devices at once and run reports.
Invoxia GPS Locator- Best Cellular GPS With No Subscription
Invoxia uses the latest online GPS software so you can create a safe zone in a specific geographic area. This allows you to get instant alerts if a vehicle enters or exits your geofence. What makes this GPS device stand above other GPS management solutions on this list is the product cost of $150 which also includes 2-years of real time GPS tracking service. That makes Invoxia the only fleet tracking system with no subscription fees!
- Live GPS vehicle tracking: Allows fleet managers to see the location of their mobile assets in real-time, using the Invoxia GPS app on their smartphone or web-based platform.
- Geofencing: Allows fleet managers to set up virtual boundaries around specific locations, such as job sites or customer locations, and receive push notifications when a vehicle enters or leaves that area.
- Fuel consumption: Fleet managers can monitor the fuel consumption of their company cars, helping them reduce fuel costs and increase driver safety.
- Trip reports: Fleet managers can generate trip reports to see the start and end point, duration, distance, and speed of a vehicle’s trip.
Tracki- Geofencing GPS With Global Coverage
Tracki is one of the top-selling GPS tracking products on Amazon. What makes this GPS locator unique is that it is super cheap (under $20), and designed for driver safety. Some of the features of the Tracki GPS device and app include:
- Real-time tracking: Allows users to see the location of the device in real-time, using the Tracki GPS app on their smartphone.
- Geofencing: Allows users to set up virtual boundaries around specific locations, such as home or school, and receive notifications when the device enters or leaves that area.
- Speed alerts: Users can set up alerts to notify them if the device is moving over a certain speed.
- History: Allows users to view the location history of the device, to see where it has been and for how long.
- Cost: For less than $20, Tracki is one of the cheapest live GPS trackers featured on Amazon.
- Small and discreet: The device is small and discreet, it can be attached to a car, a person, a pet, or an asset.
How Do Geofences Work?
So exactly is a geofence, and how is this feature used with tracking systems? Basically, a geofence is a virtual boundary set up around a real-world location using GPS tracking or RFID technology. When a GPS device crosses the boundary, it triggers a pre-defined action, such as sending a notification or alert. When you receive alerts they are typically in the form of a text message or email. The technology works by constantly monitoring the location of a device and comparing it to the coordinates of the geofence. If the device enters or exits the geofence, the action is triggered and you get a real time alert that your vehicle or asset has moved. Pretty cool right?
Geofencing can be used for a variety of purposes, such as tracking the location of employees, managing a fleet of vehicles, or sending targeted advertising to customers in a specific area. In fact, the Department of Transportation suggests companies utilize GPS technology to reduce fuel consumption.
What Is Geofencing Used For – 7 Examples
Geofencing is used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Location-based marketing: Businesses can use geofencing to send targeted advertisements or promotions to customers in a specific area.
- Fleet management: Companies can use geofencing to track the location and movements of vehicles in their fleet, and monitor for any unauthorized use or deviation from a pre-determined route. In fact, geofence and speed alerts are the most popular asset management features with GPS fleet tracking!
- Employee tracking: Employers can use geofencing to track the location of employees and ensure they are where they are supposed to be.
- Smart homes and security: Geofencing can be used to automatically control smart home devices and security systems when people enter or leave the home.
- Retail analytics: Retailers can use geofencing to track the number of people entering and leaving their store and analyze customer behavior.
- Outdoor and Indoor navigation: Geofencing can be used for tracking and guiding people in a building or an outdoor area.
- Event Management: Geofencing can be used to track attendance, and access control and also to trigger specific actions during an event.
What Are The Best Apps For Geofencing?
There are several apps that use geofencing technology, some popular ones include:
- Geofency (iOS and Android): Allows users to create geofences and track location in real-time, and can be integrated with other apps such as Todoist, Evernote, and Trello.
- Life360 (iOS and Android): A family locator app that uses geofencing to keep track of family members and send notifications when they arrive or leave designated areas.
- Geo Tracker (iOS and Android): An app for tracking and analyzing location data, with the ability to create and manage multiple geofences.
- Glympse (iOS and Android): An app that allows users to share their location with friends and family in real-time, with the option to set a geofence to automatically stop sharing when they leave a designated area.
- Geofence Manager (iOS): This app allows you to create and manage multiple geofences, and set actions to be triggered when the device enters or leaves the geofence.
- Geo Task (Android): This app allows you to create tasks and set them to specific locations using geofencing technology. When you arrive at the location, the task will be automatically activated.
These are a few examples, there are many more apps that use geofencing technology and can be found in the app store of your device.
What Is An Example Of Geofencing?
One of the most common examples of GPS geofencing is child safety. For example, a parent can use geofencing to set a virtual boundary around their child’s school and would receive notifications when the child arrives or leaves school. This child GPS tracking technology is also helpful for parents who have kids with special needs, autism, or a tendency to wander off.
Another example of geofencing can be a smart home security system, where homeowners can set up geofences around their property using their smartphones. The mobile app will know when they leave their home and then their system would automatically arm itself. Likewise, when they return, it would disarm!
Navigating The Best – Our GPS Tracker Testing Process!
We scoured the market and hit the gas on our search for the best car GPS trackers, combing through websites that offer security products such as Amazon and online spy stores. Once we had found the geofencing GPS trackers considered the best, we put them through the wringer, evaluating everything from warranties and location updates to customer ratings and prices. You can learn more about our review methodology in detail here.
Best Geofencing GPS Testing Process
We didn’t just take the GPS tracker manufacturers’ word on how great their vehicle tracker devices were, we put each one to the test! First, we purchased the base-level tracking subscription and rotated each car tracker on a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe. Using the latest iOS 16.3o on an iPhone 14 Pro, we accessed the tracking apps and monitored the vehicle for an intense 24-hour tracking period, to see which one comes performed the best.